Thursday, June 23, 2011

Ellery the duck

I had a pet duck this past April. Actually, he was first a pet egg which I incubated and then he hatched out of that little egg. Each day I would turn off all of the lights in my classroom and hold a flashlight to the egg. I saw him grown from a bouncing embryo to a baby duck.. with a real bill, two wings, and two wonderful webbed feet. Each day my heart would leap to see the movement inside the egg. Watching him hatch over a period of days was one of the most incredible things I've ever witnessed. Once he hatched, he never wanted to be apart from Mama (which happened to be me). He would spend time inside my sleeve in-between classes, or while I was doing paperwork. I'm glad to know he is on a farm learning to be a real duck, but I sure miss him as my baby.









No comments:

Post a Comment